TNT Artspirations Web Site

Thursday 22 July 2021

SERIOUOSLY?

 Hello Friends,

I recently started a free course with Ellel Ministries and I've already had a breakthrough. The course is called "In the Beginning: Created to Create". As I said, it's absolutely free.

At the end of Lesson One, the instruction is to draw, paint, or write about something in nature. I started sketching a tree in my backyard. I wasn't enjoying it, as I don't much like to draw and I especially don't like to draw anything other than faces.

As I loosely sketched the tree, I scolded myself. I was not disciplined enough in my art. I needed to practice more and make myself do it, whether I liked it or not. Then I saw it.

A face had started to appear in the loose sketch. There was an eye, a mouth, and wait - there was another eye, a chin, and the suggestion of where a nose could go. I started molding the shapes with my pencil and I started smiling. I was enjoying the process. I was having fun.


I felt God smiling with me. My problem wasn't lack of discipline (well, maybe a little); it was lack of fun. I can never be too serious for too long. I have to bring humour. I have to bring fun. I have to bring the unexpected that shows up in my imagination. Whether it's a conversation, a story, or a goofy sketch, it has to have a touch of whimsy, fantasy or humour. That's just me.

And that was my breakthrough. God didn't create me to be a no-nonsense kind of person. In fact, nonsense is part of who I am.

I remember once I took an acrylic painting class. With the teacher's instruction, I painted a beautiful sunset scene. I could see he approved. But then I added a large, dove-shaped cloud and his expression changed. He clearly thought I had ruined the painting. But you know what, that dove-shaped cloud is my favourite part of that painting.


 

Like my teacher, not everyone is going to like my art or my stories, but that's okay. Those who 'get it' probably get me a little bit too. That is very gratifying and makes me feel like those people are part of my tribe.

Thanks for dropping in. I appreciate your visit and your comments.

hugs & smiles,

Teresa

1 comment:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful photos. 'I felt God smiling with me' - what a wonderful feeling! Hugs, Valerie