TNT Artspirations Web Site

Sunday 29 August 2021

ENCAUSTIC REVIVAL

Hello Friends,

After about two years away, due to a chronic lung condition, I recently started doing encaustic art again. My condition has vastly improved and I now have proper ventilation to protect me from the fumes.

This is the first piece I did. I started by affixing watercolour paper to a ceramic tile with book-binder's glue. Both a rigid (the ceramic) and porous (the paper) surface are needed. Otherwise, the wax would simply peel off.

I drew the bird and rings onto a watercolour background. Then I started adding layers of clear encaustic medium, fusing between each layer with a heat gun.

Achieving a smooth surface is a bit tricky since the wax dries very quickly. At first, I was dragging the brush across the piece, leaving deep bristle marks of hills and valleys. That's okay if you want to add lots of texture, which is a different kind of technique, but I wanted a glass-like finish. After scraping back extensively several times, I finally learned to let the hot medium almost pour from the tips of the bristles.

Once I had several layers of smooth encaustic, I used a metal clay tool to inscribe all of my pen lines. With a gloved hand, I rubbed some R&F oil stick paints into the lines. I wiped off the surface with a paper towel and a bit of vegetable oil, leaving only the paint that was buried within the lines.

I used my wax paints for the details on the bird and the golden rings. My final touch was to add some clouds with a heat-resistant sponge.

Sorry the photo is not so great. I'm calling it "Above the Chaos".

Most of the encaustic painting I did in the past was on encaustic card with an iron and stylus. Working on a solid surface, in layers of wax, is more challenging but also more satisfying. 

Thank you for stopping by. I hope I didn't bore you with the details of my process. 

hugs & smiles,

Teresa

2 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is fabulous, Teresa, and interesting to read about how it got made. I've never tried encaustic, so didn't know it involved fumes! Glad your health now allows you to do this again. Have a wonderful Sunday, and thanks for sharing! Hugs, Valerie

Wies said...

Lovely creation. I have never worked with encaustic and have only have seen cards made with this technic. This creation is something else.
And great to hear your condition has improved and with proper ventilation you can start again making art with encaustic.
Wies xx