TNT Artspirations Web Site

Thursday 10 March 2022

Encaustic Practice

 Hello Friends,

I hope you are all keeping well and safe. 

I've been working away at my latest novel, "Out of Hiding". It will be Book 3 in my Tales of Ellmoria series, with one more book to go. I'm already getting ideas for a brand new series, which will be a spin-off from the first.

Between writing and helping to manage three businesses, I haven't had a lot of time for art. I plan to dedicate at least a month this spring to doing mainly that. In the meantime, I've been picking away at a few practice pieces of various kinds, including encaustic. 

Encaustic is basically hot wax. It's mixed with damar resin for longevity and so you can buff the surface to a high sheen. That has got to be my favourite thing about encaustic. I like shiny things.

 

Here is a encaustic collage piece, using a watercolour bee I painted, a stamped image, and a sprig of savory. This piece was inspired by Book 1 in my series, "Bee Singer Queen".

 
 
Here is a photo encaustic piece I did. I used a print-out of the watercolour painting I did for the cover art of Book 2, "Son of Abeilhe". Unfortunately, the camera doesn't pick up the glossy finish of the encaustic.

 

Here are a couple of encaustic pieces that are in progress. I'm not sure what they need yet.

The holly is another watercolour painting. The wc paper is so heavy, it's challenging to adhere it with only wax, so I ended up blurring everything beneath it. In the future, I will do print-outs of watercolour paintings rather than using the originals. 

I might scrape some the wax off around the holly or maybe I will just start layering on more colours in wax or oil stick. That might be more fun.


For my next practice tile I taped off sections, similar to what I did for the background of the holly collage. I experimented with my R&F oil sticks on the exposed sections and didn't get any further with the painting. 

One of these days I'll start playing around with both of these pieces. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your visit and always enjoy reading your comments.

Hugs & smiles,

Teresa


1 comment:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your encaustic pieces, they are beautiful. That's something I've never tried! Hugs, Valerie